Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Would This Alter Hyper-Masculinity in the African-American Culture?

Overall, if you haven't noticed yet, the mainstream culture of the United States is is caught up on masculinity and defining what is a man. More so, African-American culture has and is dealing with hyper-masculinity, an exaggerated stereotype of being masculine. I don't know why African-American men are so caught up in being the ideal African-American male, but it is evident in many predominantly African-American arenas, especially those that are educational institutions.

Early last month, when I brought up the new dress code policy at the HBCU Morehouse, I was going to talk about homosexuality in African-American culture. Just when I thought I was going to lose people since it has been a month since I have said anything, the question of repealing the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" clause in the army came about and I stumbled upon this video from CNN.



After watching this video, consider the following:
  • What is masculinity to you? Why do you define it as such?
  • Apart from Anthony Woods stating his sexual orientation, would you have thought he was gay? Why or why not?
  • Does sexuality determine one's level of masculinity? How?


No comments:

Post a Comment