Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Traditional Rape?

My friends and fans know that I try to show the positive side of Africa, since usually the negative is what is mostly discussed. However, I am trying really hard to have a balance on my blog to show the diversity withing this immense continent.

Here's a video from CNN International about a ethnic group in Kenya where rape is a part of a tradition.




I am not a supporter of anyone being forced to do anything they don't want to do. As a kid, when my aunt would force me to eat grits (which I can't stand until this day), and would have me sit at the table until I finished them, I sat their with my arms folded, defiant, for three hours. She gave in and let me go. I told my mother and my aunt never did it again (my mother is not into forcing children to do something either).

Far worse than my grits experience, forcing a child to have sex is the most disgusting thing universally. I am an advocate for cultural relativity, but this is one of the moments that I say "Hell, no!" I have said yes to a culture in South America that traditionally eats those that have passed away, believing it's rude to the spirit to inter the body or leave it around (even though I would NEVER do that). For the most part, even if I perceive a culture to do several things that I feel are morally wrong, I understand that they may see things that are in my culture that are morally wrong. But forcing a child to have sex is one of the most disgusting thing to do. That is not acceptable anywhere and I am glad someone is taking a stand to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment