Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ignorance and Kwanzaa



It's that time of year again when Christmas decor line commercial streets, menorahs light up various homes, and every black person in America is wished "Happy Kwanzaa."

Today, I was one the lucky black folk to receive this holiday greeting from a random white woman. Granted she was trying to be nice, but she started off with happy holidays and then remixed to happy Kwanzaa. This was one of those moments in life it was best to keep it simple. I politely told her: "I don't celebrate Kwanzaa." In fact, I am a part of a large group of black people in America that do not celebrate this "contrived" holiday, as my colleague (who's black) called it, and she's pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Kwanzaa was conceived in the 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, a professor at California State University, Long Beach, as a way to bring African-Americans together as one in the wake of the Watts riots. It's a combination of several different African traditions (the word Kwanzaa is Swahili for "first fruit") from various African cultures.

Despite the holiday having it's African roots, the holiday is NOT African. My mother told me her first experience with this holiday when she arrived in the United States nearly thirty years ago and  she said people would ask her how she celebrated Kwanzaa. She, being a feisty Nigerian, responded: "What nonsense is that?" People were shocked she didn't know and she was puzzled why people expected her to know. She later found out it was an African-American holiday that has various influences from many African cultures, which changed her response to, when she was later asked (and still asked to this day): "Do I sound African-American to you? Nonsense!"

Back to my colleague, who is African-American, told me she had never celebrated the holiday. In fact, it seems like the number of African-Americans that celebrate Kwanzaa is pretty small, even though there are no official stats.

Now, let's recap everything:
  • Kwanzaa is a contrived holiday, meant for African-American unity.
  • Kwanzaa is not an African holiday, even though it's influence comes from various African cultures.
  • A large majority of African-Americans do not celebrate Kwanzaa.
  • Do not ask a feisty Nigerian woman about Kwanzaa, because she'll treat you.
In addition, we know that not all black people in the United States are Christian or Afro-centric. The reason why the greeting "Happy Holidays" is used is to avoid sounding stupid, like the white woman who gave me the Kwanzaa greeting with the biggest smile. Even though she was well intentioned I'm sure, she sounded like an idiot. My mother always says, if you don't know something, it's better to just keep your mouth shut and let people think you're smart. This was, again, one of those moments. Happy holidays, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! This so much! I forget who I was talking with aawhile ago when they brought up Kwanzaa. I rolled my eyes at it and explained how it wasn't actually an African holiday and kind of shattered their world I think. And LOL at your mom for her line: "do I look African American?" dead.

    ReplyDelete