Monday, September 19, 2011

Miss Universe 2011 Hails From Angola

Sorry, this is late, but I must put it out there: It's great that this Miss Universe is a dark and lovely Angolan! Despite how utterly shallow the Miss Universe pageant is, I think it always seems to bring interesting discourse in regard to beauty. I could go into the many aspects of beauty, but today, I'll focus on one.

I don't know if this pageant marks the acceptance of black is beautiful, but at least this year it kind of sends that message. I remember watching clips from an upcoming documentary titled Dark Girls, which focused on the beauty politics among black females and the standards they feel they need to live up to not only in the greater American society, but also within the African-American community. I think many women struggles to attain the social construct of beauty, and I think what carried Leila Lopes of Angola to where she is now is not necessarily her looks, but how she views herself.

Having the confidence that you look beautiful I think is something people can see, even beyond "imperfections." In essence, what has been said a thousand times already, beauty is skin deep and it really depends on how you see yourself to portray beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment