Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Big Hair

I want big hair. Big enough to make a bold statement. Big enough that it is an extension of my personality. So big that people will say: "Do you know Kevin Obomanu?" And the reply would be: "Oh, the crazy black man with big hair?"

How am I going to make it bigger? I have debated in my mind how I could go about it, and currently I am simply letting it growing, picking it, and moisturizing it. Many outside of the Black World do not understand the science of afro-textured hair; some even go as far to consider it ugly when it is in its natural state (which sadly has been hammered into many of those within the African diaspora as a truth). I disagree.

Calling any part of me "ugly" that is natural in itself is probably the most self-destructive thing I could do. Using terms like "nappy" or "kinky" to refer to my hair I find almost degenerate based on their usually negative connotations. Terms like "curly" and "thick" strike my fancy. It gives me a sense of pride for my hair. Every time I take care of it, I don't wish for it to look like those of my non-African/non-African descent counterparts. Instead, I want it to look even more like that of a Black person. I want my hair to continue to be thick, dark, extra curly. I want my hair to speak for itself. I want it BIG.

Having my hair big will become a physical manifestation of my African heritage. It will show that NO ONE can deter how I feel about myself and the culture(s) and the race(s) that I am apart of. And I feel PROUD.

I've made my decision: I'm going to stick with what I doing now to make my hair big.

***

To learn more about afro-textured hair, Wikipedia has a great entry (maybe not the best source, but a great starting point to excellent sources).

1 comment:

  1. i fully support your decision to grow out a fro, i think it's awesome. and i have told you this before, but i totally dig natural fro's on black woman. something about the confidence that it takes to rock it is just sexy to me and many men i'd wager.

    ReplyDelete