Monday, August 30, 2010

Diaspora of the Week - Afro-Mexicans

I found an interesting article on Afro-Mexicans today. Maybe you all will like it. It's in two parts (good transit reading).

http://www.theroot.com/views/mexicos-hidden-black-history
http://www.theroot.com/views/mexicos-hidden-black-history-part-two

I feel many Americans don't realize that in Mexico there are black people. Back when I attended middle school in Texas, I met a girl who was Mexican and her skin was dark as mine. That was the first time (and so far the last time) that met someone of the African diaspora from Mexico. At the time, I didn't even think they existed, but then I was young and I didn't know how the African diaspora is pretty much EVERYWHERE. Check out this article from TIME magazine in addition to the others to discover more about this group.


2 comments:

  1. it's kind of annoying how people think all mexicans are tan with brown eyes and black skin. i don't think they understand how diverse the population is. they have a lot of different racial groups in there. growing up, my friends always asked if i was half "white" cuz my mom is light skinned, has brown hair, and hazel eyes. i have cousins with red hair, pale skin and freckles. no one questions seeing someone with asian blood, african blood, or indian blood calling themselves american. do we as a country really believe that we're the only ones with diversity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do. That's why it is hard for people to comprehend that in Africa and its diaspora have peoples of various shades or that black people also exist in Europe and have lived there for hundreds of years. This is one of the many reasons why I have this blog - to hopefully end this foolishness.

    ReplyDelete