Thursday, July 28, 2011

Africa on New York's Runway

Over a week ago was the fabulous (yes, I did use that word) Africa Fashion Week in New York. This annual event was directed and created by Nigerian-born fashion entrepreneur and owner of the fashion agency Adiree, Adiat Disu. Hopefully, by the end of the week I will have a review of this fashion presentation, from a guest blogger. Meanwhile, I'm going to do two things: feature one of the designers that were present and put in my commentary (of course).

The designer I would like to feature (which had one of the few, if not the only, line for males) is South African Stiaan Louw. My favorite attribute about his clothing is you can see the influences of traditional attire from various cultures across the continent, yet it has a modern and forward vibe. I can see a bit of Nigeria, and a bit a of Egypt and of bit of Sudan and of course South Africa in many of the pieces. The colors are brilliantly muted, giving the lyrical drapery of the garments sense of masculinity. Finally, it LACKS prints, which seem to be the standard when one thinks of African clothing. The pictured outfit is one I'm considering for inspiration for my style (it's from Joburg Fashion Week 2011).

What do I think about Africa Fashion Week in New York? Well, I think it is brilliant. It is one of the BEST ways to bring the talent of Africa to the Western world (especially the United States, since the views of Africa are still very narrow/one-sided). Having a taste of Africa in your own country ends the excuse: "Oh, I can't learn about Africa because it is too far/I don't have the money/I don't have the time." There are things that relate to each person in this nation that have a taste of Africa in it. If you like spicy food, go to a West African restaurant. If you love fashion, go to Africa Fashion Week. If you like to dance, go a to community center and see if they offer an African dance class. If you're in business, check out the stock markets in Nigeria, Angola, Ghana, South Africa, any African nation. If you're bored and online, Google or Wikipedia an African nation (or even read some of the posts on my blog). Whatever it is you like to do, it's in Africa, just like it is in the United States, South Korea, the UK - anywhere. You just have to open your mind and get out of your damn box (yes, I said it). Stop making excuses and do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment