Sunday, July 10, 2011

Back from Korea

Even though I have been back for exactly 2 weeks to the minute, I would like to finally announce I am back from one of the most intellectually enriching experiences of my life.

I have talked about the benefit of studying abroad before in detail, but I feel as if I should touch on it again. I have been to several countries and a total of 5 continents, and I plan to go to more countries with in the next few years. I've me people from over 100 countries in and outside of the United States and I feel I have become more globally aware.

This world is increasingly becoming smaller, which makes the knowledge of the world outside of your community more valuable and vital. Jobs are becoming exports. More and more companies are becoming international, having offices in several countries. Most of all, the Internet is connecting people thousands of miles apart. Ignorance is becoming (if not already in some places) the new taboo.

In Korea, and many of you have read my posts, I encountered a lot of ignorant people, especially when it came to being a black man. Yes, the vast majority of people in Korea are ethnically Korean, and the ignorance most of the time does not come a from racist place, but simply lack of knowledge and experience. One person I met, who was fascinated with African-American culture, especially that of the mid-twentieth century and earlier, stated he was not ignorant because he had educated himself via travel. He's been to Canada and France and had many experience with black people.

I don't think simple experiences is not only it, but the willingness to arrive at a new place with an open mind is key. I think the reason why my experience in Korea was mostly positive was because most of the Koreans I met where genuinely open minded and curious. Of course they had their assumptions, but those changed as they learned more. In the US, especially with people who are non-Black, more than half of the time they seem to be stuck in a certain way of thinking instead of allowing mental fluidity. The dude in Korea went to these countries with and open mind, expecting anything and nothing - the best way to have a fulfilling experience and the way I approached Korea and my travels in Brazil.

I suggest all of you to travel to another country, especially one that you perceive or assume is greatly different from yours. Go with an open mind and you may even discover there are things better, worse, or even similar to your home country. And don't let money be an issue. There are several ways to travel within even the tightest budgets. It just takes creativity and the right connections to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment